Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Clean Your House and Burn Calories

I spend a lot of my time sitting. I work on the computer, read books, or sit with the kids, teaching or correcting. This has caused me to look for ways to maximize the amount of time I spend moving through my day. There are some simple ways to strengthen your body while doing everyday activities.

I now stand at my kitchen counter to cut coupons. I would like to place my computer somewhere on a counter so I can stand a bit more during the day. I sit in the rocker and use my calf muscles to move me instead of sitting on the sofa or a chair. Whether you are sitting or standing still, be sure that your posture is correct to strengthen your core muscles. If you have been slouching a while, this is going to hurt! But it will be worth the work when your back muscles are beautifully sculpted and you are able to take long, deep breaths instead of the shallow ones bad posture encourages. Pick things up by bending deeply at the knee. This is much more productive than doing a set of squats.

I also weigh the benefits of efficient cleaning vs. cleaning with a focus on movement. Sometimes the two are compatible. For example, seeing how quickly I can windex all the glass and mirrors in my home. Sometimes, being an inefficient housekeeper is more beneficial to my body. When I have the time, I might bring laundry up and down the stairs with more frequency than needed. (I could just run up and down the stairs for exercise, but that's not much fun. I get nothing accomplished but creating a not-so-nice wear pattern in my carpet, so I figure that taking my time with the laundry is worth it when I can.)

If you can put on some fast music while doing your chores, this usually speeds up the rate at which you move. It also makes cleaning more fun.

Weeding the garden and other lawn work is very good strength conditioning. Jeff and I find it funny that people will hire out lawn work and then pay for gym membership. We never work harder than when we are out doing the lawn. Another great thing about yard work, is that there is something for everyone to do, so the whole family is working together. Jeff mows, Connor edges, Mary and I weed and sweep. It can actually be pretty fun sometimes (when we get out there before the summer heat gets terrible in the afternoons.)

You might be interested to know just how many calories you can burn by doing ordinary things. Here's a list of everyday activities and the calories they burn:

sleeping: 60 calories per hour
sitting on the couch: 75 calories per hour (the number goes down if you are watching t.v.)
grocery shopping: 90 calories per hour (though I'm convinced the number goes up dramatically when you shop with kids.)
light household chores: 95 calories per hour
standing in line: 100 calories per hour
playing with your dog: 110 calories per hour
playing with kids (not rigorous): 120 calories per hour
driving: 120 calories per hour
walking: 130 calories per hour
shopping: 135 calories per hour
eating: 140 calories per hour
household chores (vacuuming, scrubbing): 225 per hour
gardening: 230 calories per hour
brisk walking: 250 calories per hour
mowing the lawn: 295 calories per hour
lifting weights: 300 calories per hour (I wonder if this includes laundry baskets and homeschool books?)

So, be encouraged! You are probably accomplishing more than you think

No comments:

Post a Comment